Kenmare Parish Safeguarding Children Committee was established in 2008 as a response to the Standards and Guidance Document for the Catholic Church in Ireland.
In short, it is the role and responsibility of this group to ensure best practice in Ministry with Children and Young People in our Parish Community.
A question for all of us in Ministry and Leadership roles is to reflect on how together we ensure best practice, in the right spirit and in true service of our children and vulnerable adults.
Safeguarding children is a sensitive subject. It impacts and affects us all differently depending on our experience and differing values. The committee are endeavouring through education and consultation to
- Reflect on what we share together as God’s family, asking us to bring this to bear in our local setting and practices.
- Through dialogue find shared values and ways of working.
- Develop an understanding of the guiding principles and context for child protection based on Gospel teachings of Truth, Justice and Love.
- To create an awareness of all types of abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual and Neglect.
- To develop an understanding of the relevance the Safeguarding Children Policy to particular ministries and parish activities that you may be involved in.
- To continue to review the practical implications for leaders involved in parish activities with children and vulnerable adults.
Kenmare Parish Safeguarding Children Representatives:
- Tim Sheehan
- Geraldine Law-Braney
- Mary Doyle
- Marie T. Russell
- Fr. George Hayes, P.P.
These representatives from the Parish have been specially trained and commissioned by the Diocese. These Safeguarding Children Representatives continue to develop and monitor current good practice in ministry in the Parish and are the link between Diocesan Safeguarding Children Personnel and the Parish. They are also available to facilitate anyone who requires pastoral care and/or needs to make a complaint.
Kenmare Parish Child Protection Policy Statement
We in the Parish of Kenmare value and encourage the participation of children and young people in parish liturgies and in activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional and social development. We recognise the dignity and rights of all children and are committed to their protection and support.
In keeping with this we will work to do all in our power to create safe environments for children, young people and vulnerable adults, in order to secure their protection and enable their full participation in the life of the Church.
Child Protection Service Numbers
If you have a child protection concern or wish to report a complaint, please contact the designated person for the Diocese of Kerry:-
JIM SHEEHY … Telephone: 087-6362780
Health Services Executive:
The designated Duty Social Worker
- North Kerry 066 7121566
- South Kerry 064 66 36030
- North Cork 022 54100
- West Cork 028 40447
- Kenmare 064 66 41177
- Killarney 064 66 71160
- Listowel 068 50820
- Caherciveen 066 9473600
- Bantry 027 20860
- Kanturk 029 20680
1. Kenmare Parish Child Protection Policy Statement:
2. Kenmare Parish Safeguarding Children Committee:
or log on to: